Monday, May 2, 2011

Moon Run Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Moon Run Presbyterian Church, 2358 McKees Rocks Road, Moon Run, PA 15136, 412.787.1076, www.moonrunchurch.com, Rev. John C.R. Silbert, Stated Supply Pastor.

Bob’s thoughts:

I remembered this church from when our son was dating a girl who lived nearby. I thought at the time that it would be an interesting little church to visit. I didn’t realize how many years it would be till God brought me back here.

We were directed to the restrooms via trapdoor coverable stairs at the chancel. In the Chancel, a cross resembling one often seen on a Communion table was suspended above. I felt the silent confession time could be longer. It was definitely a Presbyterian service – the front pews were empty.

The pastor related how his father was a morning person, and that has always been my favorite time to meet with God. I liked how the pastor developed the sermon and led the congregation with a good message.

There is a tendency in a small church to apologize for what they supposedly lack, but this is not a small, dying church. They seem at peace and ready for God lead them forward. I pray they will praise Him for the blessings He has poured out and prayerfully discern His call. I believe He has a use for this little church.

From the Marine brother at the door to the energetic pastor, this church is in good hands.

Jan’s thoughts:

This small church is immediately off a main road but felt like it could be out in the country. Obvious loving attention has been given as the facility is nicely cared for. The only signage I saw were the gender identifiers on the restroom doors. The atmosphere was informal and reflective of the “church family” concept.

We were greeted immediately upon entering the building as well as before and after the service, and graciously introduced by name during worship.

The bulletin was well prepared (by the pastor, it seems), nicely spaced, easy to read, and user friendly.

I understand this church has recently lost their organist so they’re using an electronic organ with a device that plays the music and allows the congregation to sing along. I thought it was an ingenious solution, and it seems to work for them while they pray for God’s providence.

The sermon, entitled “The Only Thing that Really Matters,” was based on Psalm 16 and John 20:19-31. I appreciated the points that the disciples locked their doors tight because of fear, and Jesus’ greeting to His friends was “Peace.” Prior to Jesus’ appearance, the disciples had no peace: they cowered behind locked doors. But then the Risen Christ came and offered Himself, peace, forgiveness, and a mission. Jesus is all that matters and, with any church, Christ must be at the center. (I believe this is applicable on a personal level as well.)

I thought the pastor was talking about me when he prayed that we might “Lift our eyes from the locked doors of our fears.” That particular reminder spoke loudly to me, and I was grateful for it and to be present.

No comments: