Sunday, April 24, 2011

Southminster Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Southminster Presbyterian Church, 799 Washington Road, Mt. Lebanon, PA 15228, 412.343.8900, www.spchurch.org, Rev. Dr. Daniel B. Merry, Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

As the weekend nears and we begin to think about where we will worship, sometimes when the choice doesn’t come easily I remember that the choice is God’s, not ours. That’s when I like to say the church has chosen us.

We were in need of a good spiritual message and started in the general direction we believed we were to head. That’s when we were gently nudged toward Southminster, and God blessed us there. I had an opportunity to share a witness with someone before the service, and we both came away better. I believe that witnessing always benefits both participants.

We were able to catch up with some friends, enjoy the many children present and their message, and God spoke to me in Dan’s sermon. Today Christ used the pastor to give me a personal message, and when I heard God speak to me in the sermon I was ready to applaud or offer a very un-Presbyterian “Amen!”

What made worship truly special was the unquestionable presence of Christ in the Sanctuary and the love of life in the congregation.


Jan’s thoughts:

It’s always a joy to visit Southminster, even more so on a day of rejoicing such as this. It’s a delight to see friends I seldom see, to meet new friends, to hear an outstanding choir, bells, and brass, and, of course, a sermon that causes me to think. I leave changed, and I’m grateful.

Today’s sermon was entitled “Can you see Easter?” and was based on Luke 24:1-12. I loved the story of the pastor who had placed a crown of thorns on the altar on Good Friday only to find on Easter morning that it had blossomed into beautiful flowers. What a great visual of the Easter story!

Then Dan spoke of hoaxes, specifically the Loch Ness monster and Watergate, and how the truth had come to light in each instance and the hoaxes had unraveled. He reminded the congregation that we can entrust those we love to God, because Jesus’ rising from the dead was no hoax. Many people over the centuries, even though they did not see Jesus face-to-face after His resurrection, have died for this belief. It is the most important truth on earth. Amen and hallelujah!

No comments: