Sunday, March 4, 2018

Southminster Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Southminster Presbyterian Church, 799 Washington Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15228, 412.343.8900, www.spchurch.org, Rev. Dr. Daniel B. Merry, Senior Pastor.


Scripture – NIV

Psalm 19:7-14 –

The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul.

The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.

The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.

The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.

The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever.

The decrees of the Lord are firm, and all of them are righteous.

They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold;

they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb.

By them your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward.

But who can discern their own errors? Forgive my hidden faults.

Keep your servant also from willful sins; may they not rule over me.

Then I will be blameless, innocent of great transgression.

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

1 Corinthians 1:22-25 –

Jews demand signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles, but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.


Bob’s thoughts:

We were happy to be here for worship, to wish the pastor happy birthday, and to see the newly installed tile floor. I thought the acoustics would be harmed but the sound was pleasing.

A draped cross is displayed on the rear wall of the stage and on the Communion table.

I was pleasantly surprised with how many greeted us and one nearby who thanked me for my service. She told us her father is a Marine veteran of Iwo Jima.

In his message, Pastor Dan told about going to minister at a prison and being harassed by the guards until he heard the laughter from the guards who worshiped at his church who had set him up.

We had worshiped at a church where they spoke of prison ministry, and I shared how I didn’t think I could do that. That Monday morning, I got a call from a waitress to whom I had been ministering that she was in jail. That was when I heard God laugh.

I was interviewing for a job as the head of maintenance at a penitentiary. The warden wanted to know if I could interact with inmates without trying to witness to them. I guess the cross and other items on my lapel made him wary. I was a new believer and on fire for Christ. I didn’t get the job, but I did witness to the warden. I was so sure when I prayed that this was the job God had for me, so I was disappointed. Not long afterwards, the head of maintenance was blamed for inmates having power tools they used to break out.

Today’s message for me, “You are not called to be successful, just faithful.” I have been well paid and I have been without work…I don’t know which is better, but I can testify that we were always taken care of.

I enjoyed the praise band, especially the female lead with her solo.

I was glad the elements were offered verbally and juice was used. Many recent suppers used wine and I abstain. I didn’t realize how much I missed being able to partake of both elements.


Jan’s thoughts:

It is always a joy to visit this church, to see old friends and make new ones. Today we got to do both, in addition to seeing the new floor in fellowship hall and wishing the pastor happy birthday.

The music was excellent, as always, and we were greeted warmly. We felt blessed to partake in Communion.

The message, entitled Divine Tension, was, for me, a timely reminder that we all have strain in our lives, and that what God wants from me is not so much of a mystery as it sometimes seems.

After mentioning a couple of anxiety-inducing real-life situations, Dan referred to the Jews and Greeks and what each required in order to believe in God. And God’s response to both was Christ crucified. Dan stated that worldly eyes saw only failure and humiliation, but Christ was the power and wisdom of God.

He stated that we are not called to be successful, only faithful. And that is the tension: to be faithful in God’s eyes or successful in the eyes of the world.

I believe it’s a choice we are all called to make daily.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray for Your Presence with this congregation as they begin the search for a new pastor next year. Guide them to the person whom You have chosen. Amen.

No comments: