Sunday, March 18, 2018

Wurtemburg United Methodist Church

Today we worshiped at Wurtemburg United Methodist Church, 1244 Portersville Road, Ellwood City, PA 16117, 724.758.9685, Chad J. Bogdewic, Pastor.


Scripture – Jeremiah 31:31-34

“The days are coming,” declares the Lord, “when I will make a new covenant with the people of Israel and with the people of Judah. It will not be like the covenant I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke my covenant, though I was a husband to them,” declares the Lord.

“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord.

“I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest,” declares the Lord. “For I will forgive their wickedness and will remember their sins no more.”


Bob’s thoughts:

We were warmly welcomed when we came in and after. There was an interesting cross made from a small tree, which we learned later is a wandering cross transferred weekly to other churches in the area.

We sat in the side alcove, which brought to mind that most Methodist churches have this architecture and the few places I’ve seen in other denominations were former Methodist buildings. Unfortunately, all the cute babies were in the main part of the sanctuary.

I enjoyed the sound from the dozen or so choir members and the lovely children’s choir. The solo and as a group were understandable, pleasant, and cute.

Sometimes I am surprised how a sermon relates to Scripture I have read recently, and today’s was on “cutting” a new/additional covenant: passing between the sacrificed animal split in two with the unspoken consequence of “if you don’t uphold your part of the covenant, may you be split like this animal.”

I was thankful we could talk with some members after the service and blessed to have the opportunity to pray for a woman who had also lost a son. I wish we could have spent some time with the pastor.


Jan’s thoughts:

We opted for a pew in the wing area off the sanctuary even while I wondered how well we’d be able to see. As it turned out, we could see just fine.

We were greeted often, beginning when we exited the truck, again when we entered the building, by the folks we sat near, and others before, during, and after the service.

I noticed the very large cross crafted from rough branches and thought it was appropriate that the prelude was “The Old Rugged Cross.” It was only after the service that we learned this cross is in a different church in the area each week during Lent, and there is actually a second one just like it because so many churches wanted to participate. What a magnificent display of unity among denominations.

The choir sounded terrific together, and the children’s choir was enthusiastic with their singing and hand motions.

The sermon, “A New Covenant,” spoke of eschatology – the end times – and supersessionism – a theological view that holds that the New Covenant has replaced or superseded the Mosaic covenant. I was unsure where the pastor stood on the issue, but his final statement was one with which I do agree: The End Times began with the Resurrection of Christ.

We enjoyed our conversation with several members after worship.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray Your church is listening for Your call and ready to step out in faith. Amen.

No comments: