Sunday, July 8, 2018

3 Rivers Free Will Baptist Church

Today we worshiped at 3 Rivers Free Will Baptist Church, 20401 Route 19, Cranberry Twp., PA 16066, 724.76.7588, www.3riversfwb.org, Cody Freeman, Pastor.


Scripture – Galatians 5:16-25 KJV

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.”


Bob’s thoughts:

This is an interesting little church that I was glad we had the opportunity to revisit.

The engineered beams of the ceiling blend with the knotty pine paneling. There is a great back-lit cross behind the projection screen, and I was grateful for the air conditioning. Today would probably have been alright, but a few Sundays suffering to breathe reminded me that I need A/C.

I was taken with the harmony of the ceiling light fixtures and the lights of the ceiling fans.

I honestly don’t know how many years it has been since I was responsible for the maintenance of a church, but I had to smile when I was drawn to notice a burned-out bulb so maybe it never goes away.

I remember sitting in a church we were visiting after being long-time members in a nearby church. I noticed things like burned out bulbs and other maintenance items, then I noticed a family that seemed out of place and went to greet them as visitors. It took a while to get over that feeling of responsibility and allow myself to just worship God. Serving the church is great but I hope you won’t let it keep you from worship. May you free yourself to worship Him.

A woman brought a baby to church today and that was noted by the congregation. The timing was divine as I was thinking this church needs some youth to come alive; maybe it’s a start.

We were warmly welcomed, including by some who remembered us from our last stop there.

The lead singer has a great voice and led the congregation well. There was a bass singer whose mic was set almost painfully loud to me. Surprisingly when he spoke and prayed later from the pulpit, I could barely hear. There was mention from the pastor that maybe the mic was off.

I put my prayer request in with the offering and it was read to the congregation while we were there, which is a first. I was pleased to find a prayer list included in the bulletin.

A line from the message that struck me: “Do we listen to the flesh or the Spirit?”


Jan’s thoughts:

Having arrived with enough time for conversation before worship, we were greeted warmly. We last worshiped here in May 2017 when Amani Children’s Choir led the service, and today we got to hear the pastor preach.

We sat as far back as possible, which at times seemed a mistake because at some points I had a time trying to hear. Usually we have the opposite issue.

The piano, harpsichord, violin, and guitar provided pleasant-sounding back-up for the vocalists, whose voices blended well.

Many prayers were offered, both joys and concerns.

The untitled sermon focused on the battle between the flesh and the Spirit and concluded with an invitation to go forward for prayer.

Someone had donated some pies, and everyone was urged to take one or more home with them, which we did, with thanks.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray You will bless Your church with youthful enthusiasm, that they may live for You. Amen.

No comments: