Sunday, July 15, 2018

Northbridge Community Church

Today we worshiped at Northbridge Community Church, 216 Mystic Pine Trail, Cranberry Township, PA 16066, 724.371.1180, www.northbridge.org, Jame Price, Lead Pastor.


Scripture – NIV

1 Timothy 4:14-16 –

Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through prophecy when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

Be diligent in these matters; give yourself wholly to them, so that everyone may see your progress. Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.

2 Timothy 1:6 –

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.


Bob’s thoughts:

We were welcomed in the parking lot, by the greeter, and by the usher. Only one non-staff person said hello.

There is still no cross and I’ve given up on finding out why.

I have never been to any kind of a concert but I imagine it must be like this: loud with flashing lights and roving spotlights. I thought if I turned my hearing aids off it would be bearable…I start to feel ill with the spotlight wandering. I guess my age is showing.

I enjoyed hearing a little of the female lead’s voice.

For me the message didn’t seem to fit the rock and roll atmosphere. I don’t know where it is recorded or what kind of venue, but it was well thought out and presented. Often biblical sermons lack application and this was well supported. I look forward to hearing the other parts.

The format is not my favorite but we share this: we are all hopeless sinners but for the saving grace of Christ.


Jan’s thoughts:

This is our first return visit in nearly four years, so we were curious what might have changed. We were among the first to arrive for the early service, so we had to wait for a few minutes until guests were permitted to enter the worship area.

We had some conversation with the person who handed us the cards with information about the message. Upon entering the worship space, greeters stand between the doorways and the seats. In anticipation of the volume, we sat against the back wall. The greeter nearest us was kind enough to let us know the coffee had been made available in the outer area since we sat down.

This being National Ice Cream Day, the pastor announced that free ice cream would be available following the service courtesy of Meadows, a local ice cream shop.

The singers’ voices blended well but I found the volume distracting. We stayed though and covered our eyes while the lights flashed.

The message was presented by Jeff Henderson from the Gwinnett campus of Northpoint Church. I found him engaging as he spoke on a topic near and dear to my heart: discerning one’s life purpose. He said that last week, in part one of this series, he taught that work was God’s idea. This week he mentioned some statistics: more than 1/3 of our lives are spent at work and approximately 80% of us are dissatisfied with our job. That’s a big number.

He stated there is no such thing as a job without purpose when viewed from God’s perspective. But the question remains for so many of us: How do I discover God’s will for my life? He said the most important thing he would say was: God’s thumbprints on you are clues about His plans for you.

(I will use personal pronouns here, as I felt he was speaking directly to me.) Stressing the importance of knowing my gifts and leveraging opportunities to use those gifts, he encouraged me to pay attention and do the work to discover how I am gifted because I will be held accountable by God for my failure to use His gifts. (As if it didn’t seem important enough before, now it feels imperative.)

He suggested to start the way he did: by emailing seven people who know me well and ask “what do you think I’m good at?” And pay attention to what people tell me, don’t be falsely humble and say it’s nothing, because it isn’t nothing, it’s important.

The church has developed a website with (mostly free) resources to help discern God’s thumbprints: www.northbridge.org/messages/dream-job. (I have bookmarked it for future use and can’t wait get started.)

Then he said that if I’m not willing to put in the time it takes to find out what God’s purpose is for my life, I forfeit the right to complain about it in the future. Fair enough…let’s go.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray Your church serves in Your Holy Name according to Your desires. Amen.

No comments: