Sunday, July 1, 2018

Grace Community Church

Today we worshiped at Grace Community Church, 9160 Marshall Road, Cranberry Township, PA 16066, 724.779.7997, www.mygcc.org, Matt Kaltenberger, Lead Pastor.


Scripture – Genesis 2:15-25 NIV

The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”

The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

The man said, “This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.” That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife, and they become one flesh.

Adam and his wife were both naked, and they felt no shame.


Bob’s thoughts:

We received as warm and engaging a welcome as we have in the past.

I have wondered for some time how there can be a waterfall cross outside the sanctuary, like a miniature of Victory’s cross, but not inside. It seemed to tie in to today’s message of true theology to have a cross as part of worship.

Today’s message was on men and marriage and I sensed that I had heard a similar one here on a prior visit. The message was well delivered with dissected Scripture and, I believe, well received by the congregation.

A line caught my ear that we need to give young boys responsibility, and my memory kicked in with “or explosives.” I think I was one of the few children who got dynamite packs and railroad flares to play with. Not sure it was responsibility but it certainly inspired me to be a Marine.

I enjoyed a woman nearby holding a child till he fell asleep, a job that was frequently mine in the past.

I was recognized and thanked for my service by a few from this large congregation.

There was a comment that men who grow old alone age more like milk than wine, and I aim to change that. If it hurts to get back up, others don’t need to know that. I trust my going and doing to Christ…He will never let me down.


Jan’s thoughts:

It’s been a while since we last visited Grace, and with today’s 90+ degree temperatures, we needed to be certain we’d be in air conditioning. We arrived in good time for the early (now 9:30 AM) service, and one of the greeters welcomed us almost immediately. After a cheerful conversation, we got something to drink and then found our seats.



There are several things I’ve always liked about this church, but topping the list is that they unapologetically affirm the infallibility of Scripture. Today, the prayer for the offering included their commitment to “be careful to glorify You with it.”

Target Practice is the title of the current sermon series. Apparently, the series has so far been aimed at men, but today’s message had a great deal of advice, information, and guidance for women also.

He outlined God’s intentions for marriage along with some ways in which men and women are different. When it comes to connecting and remaining friends, he advised women to find out what their man likes and learn to join him in his pursuits and for men to sit down and talk with their woman.

The message was about much more than marriage; it was also about raising boys to become men and letting them go into adulthood. It was about sex, sharing, and being vulnerable. He spoke Scriptural truths not heard from our culture or media of any variety. I was thrilled to hear these truths preached and I hope many others will hear them. I plan to listen to the previous messages.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we thank You for Your presence and for Your living word to guide us. May we all be better spouses. Amen.

No comments: