Sunday, February 19, 2017

All Saints Anglican Church

Today we worshiped at All Saints Anglican Church, 1510 Haine School Road, Cranberry Township, PA 16066, 724.614.7746, www.allsaintscranberry.org, Rev. Paul A. Cooper, Rector.


Scripture – ESV

Ephesians 5:21-6:9 –

[Submit] to one another out of reverence for Christ. Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit in everything to their husbands.

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body. "Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh." This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. "Honor your father and mother" (this is the first commandment with a promise), "that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land." Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Bondservants, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ, not by the way of eye-service, as people-pleasers, but as bondservants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart, rendering service with a good will as to the Lord and not to man, knowing that whatever good anyone does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether he is a bondservant or is free. Masters, do the same to them, and stop your threatening, knowing that he who is both their Master and yours is in heaven, and that there is no partiality with him.

Psalm 71:12-24 –

O God, be not far from me; O my God, make haste to help me! May my accusers be put to shame and consumed; with scorn and disgrace may they be covered who seek my hurt.

But I will hope continually and will praise you yet more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteous acts, of your deeds of salvation all the day, for their number is past my knowledge. With the mighty deeds of the Lord God I will come; I will remind them of your righteousness, yours alone.

O God, from my youth you have taught me, and I still proclaim your wondrous deeds. So even to old age and gray hairs, O God, do not forsake me, until I proclaim your might to another generation, your power to all those to come.

Your righteousness, O God, reaches the high heavens. You who have done great things, O God, who is like you?

You who have made me see many troubles and calamities will revive me again; from the depths of the earth you will bring me up again. You will increase my greatness and comfort me again. I will also praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, O my God; I will sing praises to you with the lyre, O Holy One of Israel.

My lips will shout for joy, when I sing praises to you; my soul also, which you have redeemed. And my tongue will talk of your righteous help all the day long, for they have been put to shame and disappointed who sought to do me hurt.

Matthew 5:38-48 –

"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”


Bob’s thoughts –

The architecture features a low-rise arched ceiling that frames a clear window behind some great antique woodwork. There was a brass cross on the Communion table and I had hoped to get a closer look at some of the other woodwork.

We were welcomed coming in and after the service. I don’t recall any signage but there was a note in the bulletin detailing restroom locations.

It was a great visit for me because there were lots of children and I caught more than a few smiles.

I was reflecting a bit on bulletins we have received as visitors at various churches. They have ranged from nothing at all to information on everything but the service, and today a bulletin that had virtually the whole service in print. It is comforting for a visitor to have some idea of what to expect and when.

The message was based on Paul’s direction to the Ephesians on submission, which I daresay has caused lots of confusion and strife for married couples as we are prone to excerpt from the Bible in bits and pieces. The clarity of the preaching through this Scripture was invaluable; the concept that this covers marriage, family, and the workplace is a refreshing look at these verses.

A favorite line was from a commentary on Ephesians 5:32, “This mystery is profound” translated instead to “This truth here is hidden but revealed in Christ and is a wonderful thing.” I believe this is much closer to what Paul was trying to convey. I also appreciated the reading from Matthew 5:38-48, a favorite think piece.

I enjoyed the conversations with the pastors after the service.


Jan’s thoughts –

The church is a more recent occupant of this small building, but it seems like a good fit.

We arrived with plenty of time to spare; however, the sanctuary doors were closed so we waited in the narthex which gave us time for genuine conversation with the warmly welcoming members.

The sanctuary is smaller and the only visible musical instrument was a baby grand piano (I think, anyway). An acoustic guitar joined later, and the music was excellent.

The service was traditional, as were the hymns, and the bulletin contained all the Scripture, music, and all the spoken words except the sermon. This made it easy for visitors like us to follow.

The untitled sermon was based on the challenging Ephesians passage, which he worked through deeply and thoroughly. He taught that this Scripture speaks to what it means to be Christians in relationship with others within the contexts of marriage, the family, and the workplace.

He stated that faith changes our perspective from “our outrageous self-focus” to one where we willingly make others more important than ourselves. He declared that in the admonition for wives to submit to their husbands, “submission” does not mean subjection, subordination, or subjugation, which is the fear of most wives when we hear these words. And when husbands are addressed, they are told to love their wife as Christ loved the Church, i.e., sacrificially. The bottom line is that husbands and wives are instructed to be mutually submitted to each other.

He also touched on what it means for parents to submit to their children and employees to employers.

This is the second time within a week that this Scripture passage has come up, so I’m thinking I should spend some quiet time on it. I am blessed to have heard this message today.


Our prayer for this church –
Lord, we are grateful that You would lead us here today and speak to us through Your Word and the message. Please continue to bless this church in all they do. Amen.

No comments: