Sunday, October 6, 2019

Cross Creek United Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Cross Creek United Presbyterian Church, Cross Creek Road, Burgettstown, PA 15021, 724.947.9548, Rev. Bill Roemer, Pastor.


Scripture – NIV

1 John 4:19 –
We love because he first loved us.

Matthew 22:34-40 –
Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”


Bob’s thoughts:

We were about half an hour early getting to the sanctuary, but greetings were minimal. I think the whole church greeted us in the Passing of Christ’s Peace and we were asked to fill in a visitor card.

There was signage downstairs directing to the sanctuary and I saw a chair lift. The restroom was marked but I didn’t see nursery or other signage. Someone explained about a song sheet and when to return it.

The grandma in front of us introduced herself and the children we were exchanging smiles with. Children always make me feel welcome.

Originally, we were sitting on the side and thought a woman was coming to greet us but she only told us we had to sit in the center section because that’s how Communion would be served; I wasn’t sure she was happy with this.

I had to look a bit for a cross before I found one on the Communion table.

There were only two children but they were enough for the children’s message, and enjoyable. I was genuinely surprised to see a few sour faces directed to one girl; I was delighted with them. They gave me a smile as soon as they came in.

I was glad to see a Trunk or Treat sign as community involvement is probably difficult in this rural area.

I enjoyed the preludes but had trouble singing along with the rest of the music. I couldn’t keep the pace and when I lost my place, I couldn’t tell where everyone was in the lyrics.

The message explained the basics of Christian love. My favorite is speak the truth where you are. I’ve never had anyone refuse prayer. There are many people seeking Jesus who just don’t know it. Never hide your faith; tell your story.

Communion was served in the pews, albeit silently. The Communion bread was excellent, and didn’t see if the pastor was served.


Jan’s thoughts:

We arrived early and later regretted the missed opportunity to look around downstairs.

I appreciated the signage, especially the indication of the restroom immediately inside. Another sign pointed the way to the sanctuary upstairs so we went up and looked at some of the items on display then found seats in one of the side sections. After a minute, a woman approached us to request that we move to the center section explaining it assists those serving the Communion elements. She explained that they celebrate the sacrament weekly, which I was happy to hear as I believe God blesses that regular remembrance of Christ.

Several people smiled and said hello but only a couple introduced themselves. During the Passing of the Peace it seemed everyone gathered in one aisle and worked their way through the line until everyone was greeted by everyone else.

One of the great things about a traditional service is that we sing older hymns. Today we sang one of my favorites which I hardly ever get to sing: Be Still, My Soul. I find the words to this hymn a deeply comforting reminder of God’s power and love.

In the sermon, entitled L.O.V.E., the pastor stated that every time Scripture refers to God’s love for His people it uses the word agape, which is the self-emptying love that seeks the good of the beloved. He stated we are commanded by God to love Him and to love others as we love ourselves, and then God empowers us to fulfill that command. I appreciated the reminder that I don’t have to meet God’s expectations in my own strength.

The pastor urged the congregation to follow God’s command to love people by telling others about who Jesus is, what He has done for them, and to participate in spreading the Gospel by generously supporting missionaries in the work God has given them.

I was glad we were in a church that observed World Communion Sunday and blessed to participate in the sacrament today.


Our prayer for this church:
Father, we pray this congregation will open their hearts and Your church to everyone they know so they can share the Good News. Amen.

No comments: