Sunday, November 3, 2019

Baldwin Community United Methodist Church

Today we worshiped at Baldwin Community United Methodist Church, 5001 Baptist Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15236, 412.882.9300, www.baldwincommunityumc.com, Rev. Pamela S. Gardner, Senior Pastor.


Scripture – Hebrews 12:25-29 NIV

See to it that you do not refuse him who speaks. If they did not escape when they refused him who warned them on earth, how much less will we, if we turn away from him who warns us from heaven? At that time his voice shook the earth, but now he has promised, “Once more I will shake not only the earth but also the heavens.” The words “once more” indicate the removing of what can be shaken—that is, created things—so that what cannot be shaken may remain.

Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, let us be thankful, and so worship God acceptably with reverence and awe, for our “God is a consuming fire.”


Bob’s thoughts:

I believe two people said hello and a woman came by to offer us a card about a future event.

I appreciated the cross on the chancel wall, backlit with a circle of light, and noted two screens off to the sides although they were barely used. The stained glass contained lots of rich dark blue.

I met a Marine during the welcome time and a few thanked me for my service.

My hearing aids had to be sent back to the manufacturer for service so I missed a good deal of what was said. I wasn’t sure on the invitation prior to the prayer, but I would have loved to share how God has blessed us since the loss of our younger son. I couldn’t hear anyone singing to find my place.

I was able to hear Phil Aley’s rendition of It is Well With My Soul, particularly powerful for us as we still associate it with our son’s death. This church organ needed Phil Aley; Phil is the only organist I’ve ever met who could also play with the contemporary musicians.

I wish I would have thought to be last in line for Communion so I could have offered to serve the pastor.


Jan’s thoughts:

We recently learned a dear friend is serving as the Director of Music at this church and the timing was right to visit. It’s been a long time since we were in this area. We arrived plenty early and had a chance to let our friend know we were there; we appreciated the time he took to chat after worship. He and I have both made pilgrimages to Malawi, though at different times, and it astounds me how the Partnership between Pittsburgh Presbytery and the Synod of Blantyre continues to provide at least part of the basis for so many relationships.

The building was larger than anticipated, so I was thrilled to find an elevator. The stunning intricacy of the stained-glass windows amazed me and when the sun shone in through one window toward the front, it created a sparkly effect on the nearby projection screen.

Several folks welcomed us and engaged us in conversation. This is unusual in a church with four services; people seem to assume we are regular attenders at another service.

We attended the early (8 AM) service which was entirely traditional except for one of the responses, a song we learned in Malawi, Soon and Very Soon. It made my heart smile.

The message, God is Holy, was part of a series about the attributes of God.

I was glad we were there to participate in Communion.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray Your sweet praise music brings the seekers to the doors of Your church so Your people can invite them in. Amen.

No comments: