Sunday, January 26, 2020

Church at the Heights

Today we worshiped at Church at the Heights, 500 Salem Lane, Gibsonia, PA 15044, 724.935.1329, www.churchattheheights.org, Pastors Ralph and Cindy Vogel.


Scripture – NLT

2 Samuel 11:1 –

In the spring of the year, when kings normally go out to war, David sent Joab and the Israelite army to fight the Ammonites. They destroyed the Ammonite army and laid siege to the city of Rabbah. However, David stayed behind in Jerusalem.

1 Samuel 17:47 –

And everyone assembled here will know that the Lord rescues his people, but not with sword and spear. This is the Lord’s battle, and he will give you to us!

2 Corinthians 11:24-27 –

Five different times the Jewish leaders gave me thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked. Once I spent a whole night and a day adrift at sea. I have traveled on many long journeys. I have faced danger from rivers and from robbers. I have faced danger from my own people, the Jews, as well as from the Gentiles. I have faced danger in the cities, in the deserts, and on the seas. And I have faced danger from men who claim to be believers but are not. I have worked hard and long, enduring many sleepless nights. I have been hungry and thirsty and have often gone without food. I have shivered in the cold, without enough clothing to keep me warm.

John 16:33 –

I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.

Hebrews 4:12 –

For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.


Bob’s thoughts:

I think this may have been the warmest welcome ever. Many people stopped to say hello and introduce themselves, we were offered coffee and donuts and directed to the restrooms and sanctuary. The only disappointment was the lack of a cross in the sanctuary. There were a lot of children to keep me entertained, especially the young family in front of us.

I was thanked for my service and greeted by a Marine. Some told of service people in their family.

I was impressed with how many got up to lay hands and pray over those in need during a prayer time and after the service. I was so surprised I didn’t even remember to ask the pastor if we could pray over him.

The message was that God wants us to be victorious in the spiritual warfare we face. A high point: You can never experience victory if you never face adversity or if you refuse to use your weapons of warfare. We are all warriors for Christ.


Jan’s thoughts:

A number of Bob’s emails were lost recently, and in the course of going through what has been retrieved, he found something about this church. Somehow, this morning, this was the church we felt drawn to because of the worship time, so here we were. It never ceases to amaze me the many ways God uses to get us where He wants us any given Sunday.

We first visited this church almost four years ago, and they were as warm and friendly today as they were then. We were welcomed as soon as we entered the building as well as, really, the whole time we were there – before, during, and after worship.

We were invited to enjoy a cup of coffee and donut and several folks stopped for conversation.

The worship area is not large but distinctively and dramatically decorated. When I looked at the church website yesterday, I remembered it immediately from the photo on the landing page. When the service began the room was almost empty, and by the time the music was over, I could probably count on one hand the number of empty seats. This is the almost universal pattern for contemporary worship services.

There were numerous announcements as this church seems to have a great deal going on and involvement in ministries inside and outside the congregation. They have three prayer meetings throughout the week: Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday, which is amazing.

Just before the message, those present were invited to lay hands on and pray for others present.

The message appeared to be part two of a series about victory. The pastor’s points were:

1 – You cannot experience victory if you never go out to battle. There is no victory for the one who won’t go, and if you give up, you forfeit your victory.

2 – You cannot experience victory if you never face adversity. Adversity means you have an adversary, which we certainly do – Satan. But if we avoid facing adversity, we avoid our victory as well.

3 – You cannot experience victory if you refuse to use your weapons of warfare. We must humbly submit to the Holy Spirit, without attitude and on His terms, pray for discernment, knowledge, and wisdom. Then we must be still so we can hear from the Spirit, and then follow Him.

It sounds simple, but I know no one who finds it easy. It’s a day-by-day battle and we are all works in progress. Praise God for His patience and unfailing love.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, bless the efforts of Your church as they seek Your guidance for the future. We pray for victory over any adversity they encounter. Amen.

No comments: