Wednesday, September 9, 2020

East Taylorsville Baptist Church

Sunday we worshiped at East Taylorsville Baptist Church, 644 1st Avenue Drive SE, Taylorsville, NC 28681, 828.632.2564, www.easttaylorsville.com, Jamie Steele, Senior Pastor.

 

Scripture – Psalm 142 NASB

I cry aloud with my voice to the LORD;

I make supplication with my voice to the LORD.

I pour out my complaint before Him;

I declare my trouble before Him.

When my spirit was overwhelmed within me,

You knew my path.

In the way where I walk

They have hidden a trap for me.

Look to the right and see;

For there is no one who regards me;

There is no escape for me;

No one cares for my soul.

I cried out to You, O LORD;

I said, “You are my refuge,

My portion in the land of the living.

Give heed to my cry,

For I am brought very low;

Deliver me from my persecutors,

For they are too strong for me.

Bring my soul out of prison,

So that I may give thanks to Your name;

The righteous will surround me,

For You will deal bountifully with me.”

 

Bob’s thoughts:

While visiting in Taylorsville, NC, we were able to worship at a local Baptist church. We were able to worship without masks but came to realize with all the restrictions (to keep us safe?) it is difficult to get a sense of the church’s friendliness. I had smiles from a few children which meant a lot and spoke with two people.

I did have an encouraging talk with a member who let me know the church does not allow open carry. He was helpful and kind.

I found an obscure cross in the wall above the platform. Was looking at something else or probably would have missed it. I learned later my impression was accurate, this wasn’t the normal worship space.

The Covid restrictions made it difficult to get a feel for the service also: how the congregation reacts to the message or praise songs. I was pleased to see the words on the screen during a solo, and it was one of the few times that I could understand the words perfectly without it.

In the course of the sermon the pastor mentioned the “immediate prayer” … most who served in combat know this prayer well. One that comes to mind from time at home: I was on the ramp to a busy road looking in vain for a break in traffic, and in my mirror a car was speeding towards me with no way to get out of his way. I believe my prayer was more of a goodbye. In a microsecond the car veered right, and the guard rail took off most of the side of the car which never slowed and continued onto the highway. I don’t know about my life in review, but the last few seconds were clear. He has saved me too many times to ever doubt Him now.

I hope if we get to visit again, we will hear the senior pastor and I would like to see more of the church grounds. I saw a budget note with impressive mission numbers, dear to my heart.

I am thankful for the time the pastors gave us after the service.

 

Jan’s thoughts:

As we were in the area to visit family, it was a special joy to worship with them as well. They have only attended this church for several weeks, so we all learned about it together.

This church opened up for indoor worship again on Father’s Day but are still streaming online for anyone who is uncomfortable with in-person worship for any reason. I noted some masks and in-person worshipers were asked to observe social distance protocols. I was comfortable, and grateful for the opportunity to worship with others.

The building is spacious and charmingly decorated. Worship was held in the auditorium to allow more space for separate seating. Several folks recognized us as visitors and greeted us as warmly as possible.

The pastor who led the time of corporate prayer began with an acknowledgement that we can’t believe everything we hear. He stated that John Piper has said, “You cannot know what prayer is for until you know that life is war. To pray is to fight in that war.” He then led a prayer for discernment and wisdom for all believers everywhere.

The message was presented by the Evangelism/Outreach Pastor. It was called “David’s Cave Experience” and outlined that event based on Psalm 142:

1 – David’s desperation,

2 – David’s discouragement,

3 – David’s depression, and

4 – David’s deliverance and praise

David’s writing was a roadmap for anyone experiencing those emotions and a reminder they can be overcome with God’s help.

We appreciated the time the pastor took for conversation with us following worship.

 

Our prayer for this church:

Father, we pray You will bless Your church in every way as they hopefully will be back to normal worship soon. In the meantime, may we all praise and glorify You. Amen.

No comments: