Monday, April 8, 2019

Allison Park Church

Yesterday we worshiped at Allison Park Church, Ohio River Campus, 239 Merchant Street, Ambridge, PA 15003, www.allisonparkchurch.com, Thomas Manning, Campus Pastor.


Scripture – Romans 1:13-16 NIV

I do not want you to be unaware, brothers and sisters, that I planned many times to come to you (but have been prevented from doing so until now) in order that I might have a harvest among you, just as I have had among the other Gentiles.

I am obligated both to Greeks and non-Greeks, both to the wise and the foolish. That is why I am so eager to preach the gospel also to you who are in Rome. For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.


Bob’s thoughts:

I had hoped we could return to welcome this church into their new home. The changes and improvements are fantastic. I met a number of people, some thanked me for my service, and I also met two other Marines.

The sanctuary now has a great wooden cross and new lighting. Most amazing to me is they secured an okay to park in the lot next door, an area that was taboo to other entities that had used this space.

I remember my first visit to this space. We were new to the area and had heard about a place called The Ladle, but the only directions I had was Ambridge. Exploring the general area, I stopped to help someone carry something from their car and thought to ask for directions. I got a strange look and he pointed to a church across the street. Since I was on a roll, I asked where Center for Hope was, and he told me, “Where the milk plant used to be.” I found someone who could tell me where that was and got to tour the school and church building.

The pastor talked about changing the world one life at a time, just like making disciples one at a time. He told of what a zealot he was for Christ and had to offer an apology for badgering people. When Christ claimed me, it was overwhelming, and I witnessed powerfully until my wife told me I could not bring people to Christ by force (it did work sometimes). A lot of what got me through the loss of our son was telling people, sometimes maybe forcibly, about him and how his life mattered.

The campus pastor talked about he and his wife being together for about 14 years before they experienced a meltdown. God got through to them that He was what was missing in their lives, and their journey began. Christ waited till I was 50 and then turned my life upside right.

The lead pastor posed three thoughts:

1 – What am I sharing?

2 – Who am I sharing with?

3 – How do I start sharing?

I think we find those we love are the hardest to share the good news with. The best advice was to start by listening. The easiest opening I’ve found is, “Can I pray for you?” I look for the people who seem miserable and my offer of prayer has never been turned down. The best any of us can do is tell our story.

We were given a ticket for a free item from the barbeque truck or the cookie truck parked in front of the church. We opted for the “Humble Cookie Stand” because Jan had just met the owner. They gave out warm, fresh, delicious chocolate chip cookies.


Jan’s thoughts:

I heard from a friend that this church would launch their new location yesterday, so we decided to take them up on an earlier invitation and join the festivities.

Bob was familiar with the building in previous years. The large parking lot accommodated the many attendees as the sanctuary was nearly full. Signage and other finishing touches are obviously in the works, and even now it has a comfortable feel. Coffee/tea/hot chocolate were offered on one side of the lobby area and the Welcome Center is on the other side.

We were met with many warm greetings and there was a great sense of celebration. The members were genuinely overjoyed to be there. After several conversations, we found seats in the back with our coffee.

The praise music was full of enthusiasm with volume that was, thankfully, not overwhelming.

The pastor told part of the inspiring story of the building and God’s purpose and plan for its use by the church. A local economic development consulting firm, Paramount Co-Op, was instrumental in assisting the church and executives from this organization were present to help celebrate.

As the campus pastor launched into the message entitled Best News Ever, he gave some personal history about how he and his wife came to Allison Park Church. Through the magic of technology, APC’s Senior Pastor Jeff Leake picked up the message from his church location. He began with a story about a dessert he enjoyed, lollipop brownies, at a restaurant, likening his desire to share this with his wife to our wish to share the Good News. Pastor Jeff shared what he considered to be the most important questions when it comes to sharing the Gospel:

1 – What am I sharing?

2 – Who am I sharing it with?

3 – How will I start to share it?

In speaking to the second question, he mentioned the difference between sharing in random moments and in regular relationships. He recounted how leadership guru John Maxwell, who began his career as an ordained pastor, has been known to present to his corporate clients on “The Five Secrets to Success.” When he starts, he explains to his audience there are indeed five points, but he is only permitted to share four. However, he will stay afterward and speak about the fifth to anyone who wants to listen and most stay. What he then explains is the fifth and most vital secret to success is faith in God, closing with an opportunity for anyone who wishes to give their lives to Christ.

Pastor Jeff’s main point was that speaking about your love for Jesus and how He has changed your life makes it much easier to have a Gospel conversation with others. No serious, heavy-handedness is necessary, just plain, genuine joy.


Our prayer for this church:
Thank You, Lord, for moving Your church to this new space. We pray for Your special guidance on their efforts to be an even brighter beacon for the neighborhood. Amen.

No comments: