Monday, April 22, 2019

Crossroads Church

Yesterday we worshiped at Crossroads Church, 8533 Peters Road, Cranberry Township, PA 16066, 412.494.9999, www.xr.church, Mike Arnold, Campus Pastor.


Scripture – NIV

Luke 4:18-19 –

“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.”

Matthew 28:1-7 –

After the Sabbath, at dawn on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to look at the tomb.

There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men.

The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here; he has risen, just as he said. Come and see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples: ‘He has risen from the dead and is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him.’ Now I have told you.”

Ephesians 1:18-20 –

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is the same as the mighty strength he exerted when he raised Christ from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,


Bob’s thoughts:

I love how my plans so often are different from God’s. Easter was going to be a quiet time of reflection and gratitude. God’s sacrifice for us is beyond our capacity to understand every day. Easter comes the climax, this sacrifice for our filthy selves just because of His love for us.

The joy of seeing some of my family, sons and daughters and some grandchildren we seldom get to see, it was truly a joyful reunion. To be asked about recent hospital stays, and what is new in the yard and garden, the smiles and hugs, are all pure joy. This is Easter.

Humble and contrite, I come to worship Jesus and sit with my youngest grandchild who is so full of joy it leaks out all over. She exclaims over how I would know anybody from “her” church, and is delighted to point out people I don’t know. Then the praise hymns start and the joy is too much, you have to dance (think Easter morning), just need to twirl and spin, hanging on to Nana’s hand not so much for support but to share the joy. When the praise hymns are done, we sit almost quietly and fill out her offering envelope; she shows me where she wrote Jesus with a heart beside it. This is Easter.

I don’t work on Sunday and this is Easter, a special quiet time with God, but this day the brakes failed on my daughter’s car. After changing into old clothes, I got to work. I reflected on Easter while I labored over her car and it came to me that each time I ran into a problem, a simple prayer got me through to the next part. When a ratchet wrench broke, another way to work presented itself. The answer was there to reshape parts that weren’t quite right. Good luck has nothing to do with it, just short prayers. Each brought memories of similar experiences of God. This was Easter.

The chance to worship my God in church, my yard, or my garage. This is Easter. Every day may it be so with you. Happy Easter.


Jan’s thoughts:

Feeling the need to be with family today, we worshiped where they were. As usual, we were greeted warmly by family and friends; we also met a few people we had not met before.

This was the first time maybe ever that I recall seeing the drapes open behind the platform. Seeing the birds in the budding trees made it feel even more alive.

The message was the first in the series entitled Freedom! which began with a reminder of last year’s dramatic rescue of a soccer team from the cave in which they were trapped in Thailand. Certainly a stark portrait of the value of freedom.

The pastor declared that the stone at Christ’s tomb was rolled away not to let Jesus out, but to let the women see in. He stated that Jesus’ resurrection power can free us from our hurts, habits, hang-ups, and from death itself.

A line that caught my ear was that “we roll our own stone in front” when we push Jesus away or create walls to try to protect ourselves. All we accomplish with that is to distance ourselves from Him.


Our prayer for this church:
Father, we pray we awaken to the year full of Easter blessings You give us and that all enjoy a happy, blessed Easter. We lift up the families and friends of our brothers and sisters in Sri Lanka who were killed even as they worshiped You. Send Your Spirit of comfort and peace, we pray. Amen.

No comments: