Monday, May 6, 2019

Crossroads Church

Yesterday we worshiped at Crossroads Church – Cranberry, 8533 Peters Road, Cranberry Township, PA  16066, 412.494.9999, www.xr.church, Mike Arnold, Campus Pastor.


Scripture – NIV

Romans 7:14-25 –

We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Romans 8:1-2 –

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death.


Bob’s thoughts:

With the chance to see some of our grandchildren that we miss, church was an easy choice for us, I thought. I didn’t realize how God was orchestrating our visit.

The curtain was open behind the praise team again and some flowers had been added outside, which helped make for a pleasant reunion and great worship.

This was the third part of a series on freedom. Last week was freedom from hurts, something I could use now. Yesterday was freedom from habits. It is not that our habits are sinful, but if they are impeding our interaction with Christ.

I get so caught up in what was that I have trouble letting go even though it isn’t where my desires or needs are now. I have been struggling to repair some equipment that I only use for things that I no longer do. Where I could be working on things related to what God is calling me to, I’m wasting my time on what will not be.

God prunes us to get us to grow how He wants. I have been removed from employment, homes, from more tools and equipment than most people have ever seen. I have lost people that I thought were my closest friends. With each loss I came to know the incredible gain of coming closer to Christ, and yet with the current purging I still lament the loss of what I didn’t need. But our Father continues to patiently prune the waste from my life.

Yesterday morning, I woke up refreshed, not knowing all the answers but knowing my life is comfortably in God’s hands and on track with His timetable. I pray that you are also blessed.


Jan’s thoughts:

We were back with our grandtwins this weekend, and I was deeply grateful to be there.

The scenery out the window behind the platform was even more lush and colorful than on Easter. There’s nothing like bringing the beauty of springtime right into the sanctuary.

As usual, we were greeted by some friends and got to sit with our family, and that was delightful.

The message was called Habits and was part 3 of the current series Freedom. The pastor spoke of how we all get trapped by habits and sins and outlined the necessary steps to become free from those:

1 – Admit the reality that we are powerless against the forces holding us hostage;

2 – Admit the reality of our needs that are being met in unhealthy ways; and

3 – Admit the reality of the price we are paying, because there is always a price.

He then summarized the ways our thinking must change in order to be freed from these habits and sins:

1 – Embrace God’s love and really believe He loves you no matter what;

2 – Believe you can be free and mentally decide on a new routine, a new way of responding when that trigger is activated;

3 – Lock arms with others for support.

This message spoke loud and clear to me. It made me realize that some of my relational responses that frustrate me the most, where I always walk away saying “I can’t believe I reacted that way AGAIN,” are nothing more than habits. This is a revelation to me. Somehow, I believed they were requirements, but if they are habits, I have the power to change them. That realization alone brings great freedom.

Pastor Mike told about a friend of his who fought a battle to be free. When it was over, the friend told Mike, “What I thought was getting me through were the things that were holding me back.” That’s how I feel. All my coping mechanisms were doing was holding me back and keeping me captive. I can’t begin to express my gratitude for the revelations from this message.

I was blessed to partake in Communion as well. What a wonderful day!


Our prayer for this church:
Father, we pray that You continue to bless and guide Your church. Guide us all and show us Your way. Amen.

No comments: