Sunday, May 19, 2019

New Hope Wesleyan Church

Today we worshiped at New Hope Wesleyan Church, 2300 Pulaski Road, New Castle, PA 16105, 724.658.3019, www.newhopewesleyan.org, Rev. Gary DeWitt, Senior Pastor.


Scripture – Isaiah 40:27-31 NKJV

Why do you say, O Jacob, And speak, O Israel: “My way is hidden from the LORD, And my just claim is passed over by my God”?

Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the LORD, The Creator of the ends of the earth, Neither faints nor is weary. His understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the weak, And to those who have no might He increases strength.

Even the youths shall faint and be weary, And the young men shall utterly fall, But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.”


Bob’s thoughts:

I felt oddly drawn to this church today. The drive was longer but pleasant and the interstate was almost empty. I drove a little faster than normal so we arrived early and had time to look around and talk to some folks. A woman on her way to teach Sunday school pointed out where the various classes were held and offered a bulletin. There was minimal signage but we were able to find our way.

In the sanctuary there was a beautiful large decorated cross to one side, a smaller one on the Communion table, and a larger cross behind the projection screen. There is air conditioning and the seating is comfortable.

There was no Scripture in the bulletin, but we later learned a visiting pastor would deliver the message. We were pleased to be there for a baby dedication and it was a joy to watch the grandparents when the baby was fussy later in the service.

Visiting Dr. Phil asked about being successful by our standards and then by God’s, which led to why God brought me here. I have been a physical man doing what the Marine Corps taught me, always doing more than I was able. After surgery and a few parts still ailing, how can I do what Christ wanted me to do? Through the message I think I came to a little understanding what “God’s power in weakness” was about.

Since being less physical, I have found a great many people to pray with and witness to. I learned again it’s not what I thought was God’s plan, but what His plan for me actually is. I am not handicapped in His plan.

I enjoyed hearing songs I knew and relished the solo of “Just a Closer Walk With Thee.”


Jan’s thoughts:

We arrived early and, although no one was in sight, someone greeted us almost right away. She welcomed us and made sure we had bulletins, then returned to teach her Sunday school class. At her invitation, we took a self-guided tour of the building and returned to sit near the entrance and as people arrived, they stopped to greet us and chat.

When the adult Sunday school ended and the attendees left the sanctuary, we entered along with everyone else who was waiting. We were greeted by more people as we waited for the service to begin.

It was a privilege to witness the Sunday school Awana awards and the dedication of a baby during the service.

The message was presented by Dr. Philip Speas, the long-time president of Kentucky Mountain Bible College. Apparently, he is well known to this congregation, as he was introduced by his first name and there was some friendly banter between him and the pastor.

The message, “The Secret of Success,” began by defining the term which hinges on Doing versus Being. The world says success is what we can do whereas God says success begins with waiting on the Lord. The world says in order to succeed we must do the right things, but God says first we must be the right person.

He stated that although we hate to wait, spiritual success rises and falls upon our time with God. We must maintain our connection with God if we hope to do the supernatural things we are created to do in God’s strength. In order to live out the promise in this Scripture, we must rest in Him until we are changed.

This message did not just speak to me, it shouted. I was glad we were here.


Our prayer for this church:
Father, we pray that we all take time to learn Your plan for us and not just jump into the one we imagine. Amen.

No comments: