Monday, May 13, 2019

Salem United Methodist Church

Yesterday we worshiped at Salem United Methodist Church, 350 Manor Road, Wexford, PA 15090, 724.935.1627, www.salem-umc.org, Rev. Beth L. Nelson, Pastor.


Scripture – NRSV

Acts 9:36-43 –

Now in Joppa there was a disciple whose name was Tabitha, which in Greek is Dorcas. She was devoted to good works and acts of charity. At that time she became ill and died. When they had washed her, they laid her in a room upstairs. Since Lydda was near Joppa, the disciples, who heard that Peter was there, sent two men to him with the request, “Please come to us without delay.” So Peter got up and went with them; and when he arrived, they took him to the room upstairs. All the widows stood beside him, weeping and showing tunics and other clothing that Dorcas had made while she was with them. Peter put all of them outside, and then he knelt down and prayed. He turned to the body and said, “Tabitha, get up.” Then she opened her eyes, and seeing Peter, she sat up. He gave her his hand and helped her up. Then calling the saints and widows, he showed her to be alive. This became known throughout Joppa, and many believed in the Lord. Meanwhile he stayed in Joppa for some time with a certain Simon, a tanner.

John 10:22-30 –

At that time the festival of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple, in the portico of Solomon. So the Jews gathered around him and said to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.” Jesus answered, “I have told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in my Father's name testify to me; but you do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice. I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them out of my hand. What my Father has given me is greater than all else, and no one can snatch it out of the Father's hand. The Father and I are one.”


Bob’s thoughts:

We arrived early and had time to chat. We were warmly greeted by a number of members including the pastor and two delightful young girls. We had time to peek upstairs at the old sanctuary with the original stained glass. Worship is now on the ground floor, which allows for handicapped access and easy access for social gathering.

The ground floor windows have modern overlay stained glass that gives an upbeat tone to the worship area. There is a larger wooden cross on the Communion table which guides the eye to the large cross above, over the chrome organ pipes.

I was impressed when the acolyte came to light the candles, she bowed to the cross before and after lighting.

There was a young woman who processed with the choir wearing a roller shoe that lit up; it brought some levity to the setting. And she did a great job playing the handbells later.

A woman was reporting from the pre-school or Sunday school about their butterfly release which was followed by the request to “put them back.” It reminded me of our late son who would just hold out his hand and butterflies would land on him. He was shocked that the others couldn’t do this.

The children were asked to distribute a Mother’s Day gift and all the daughters were asked to stand to receive the gift. I remember in years past how awkward it was for the wives who were not mothers, so, well done.

The poor contrast on the screen made it harder to sing along.

The pastor told of agreeing to pick up a friend’s child after school, which went well till a host of girls came out all wearing the same pink coats and looking identical. Finally, one girl came up to her saying “I knew you would find me,” much like Christ and us.

I wish I could share my thoughts on today’s message but what I heard was a continuation of yesterday. I get this message (thankfully) from time to time, I call it my “oh” message. It is a delightful reassurance that Christ is in control and there is no reason for my concern.

Like all of us, if I’m not careful, I can let concerns for what’s next take over, questions over what I should be doing about a host of issues? When my “oh” message comes, it is not so much specific answers to problems as it is an assurance that Christ has this. I don’t know what will change in our situation, only that God does.

I have often told people I believe that will be the first word we utter when we get to heaven: “Oh!” We will understand all the things that troubled us and it will all make sense. May you be blessed with “Oh.”


Jan’s thoughts:

We arrived with plenty of time to take ourselves on a tour of the building and talk with some of the many people who greeted us. After a cup of coffee, we found seats in the sanctuary.

The uncluttered, spacious worship area had almost no decoration aside from three modern-looking stained-glass windows. The huge organ pipes were up front and the lighting was lovely.

The music was led by the organist and a choir and there was a processional and a liturgist. I only noticed these things because it’s been a while since we attended a traditional service of any denomination.

One unusual and hospitable touch was the copy of a congregational photo directory in the pew rack.

The sermon was entitled A Call to New Life! The pastor began with a story about picking up a friend’s child from school during an upper-Midwest winter. She knew this girl would be wearing a pink snowsuit, but when the children exited the school, almost every other girl was also wearing a pink snowsuit. She finally located the child by process of elimination, and when the girl saw her, the girl blurted out, “I knew you would find me!”

A parent always can find their child because they know them, and the same is true for our Heavenly Father: He knows us better than anyone (including ourselves), and He calls us by name.

I know this from personal experience. Years ago, I found myself facing a potentially serious health issue. As I lay in bed fretting about what the future held if this issue became a reality, God called my name. It was ever so gentle, and instantly I knew in my heart everything would be fine, and it was.

God knows your name, too, and He loves you more than you know.


Our prayer for this church:
Heavenly Father, we ask that You bless Your church and guide them into the future You have planned for them. Amen.

No comments: